What a difference a new meeting space makes to a Guild. Bright. Airy Roomy. Yet intimate. Grateful to American Baptist College for allowing Zuri to hold its monthly meeting in the Scruggs Center. Our January meeting was cancelled because the new meeting space we had our sights on wasn't available after all. But God worked it out and provided us with a better and more fitting meeting space!
Important business from today's meeting:
1. Our Spring Quilting Retreat will be held once again at the beautiful Butterfly Meadows Inn April 12-14, 2012.
2. Charity Quilts for graduating seniors who have been in the foster care system are due April 12th. Our contact person Dana Eskridge will get the names and gender to us by March 1st.
3. In appreciation for allowing us to meet at the college and in support of our member Renita J. Weems who serves as Academic VP at the college, we agreed to raise money for women students at ABC by hosting an annual Renita J. Weems' Book Scholarship fundraiser. This year's fundraiser will center on breast and heart care. Zuri Quilting Guild will provide two quilts for the fundraiser, one focusing on black women and breast care and the other on black women and heart care. More details will be forthcoming.
4. We expressed our appreciation to Zenola Diggs for hosting our meetings for the past 20+ months at McKendree UMC.
5. One of our members brought back information from Chicago about The Lynch Quilts Project a beautiful example of how quilting can become a vehicle of political protest and mobilization against violence against women.
6. Finally, our next meeting will be Saturday, March 10, 2012.
Take a look at some photos from our February 2012 meeting.